Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suffering from jaundice. How to control of high level of esr?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9396 Questions
Hi I am XXXXXX my ESR level of 41 and i am suffering from jaudince since Nov 2012 and now bilirubin level below 1 but ESR quite hige and HGB 10.1. Please advise me how to control of high level of esr to bring it down.

Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 34 minutes later
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Sir, let me first explain the use of erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) clinically. A high ESR is used to determine some inflammation in the body. This can be anywhere in the body, and will have to be further investigated.

In your case, the raised ESR is obviously due to your liver condition. Jaundice is a symptom of a condition called hepatitis. Which causes inflammation of the liver, and only once the condition is completely treated, the inflammation will subside.

I have gone through your blood results, and it is great to know that your blood parameters are slowly normalizing. Your bilirubin is within the normal range now, so is your SGOT, but your SGPT is still slightly high (normal is between 5-35). But, this is close to normal, and I am sure this will reach the normal range within the next few days.

Now coming to your ESR. Sir, you are in the recovery stage, and if you continue to follow your doctor's advice, you should be fine soon. A raised ESR can only be controlled or brought down by treating the condition, we cannot directly reduce the ESR. Which is why, you will notice that as your liver recovers, it will reduce to its normal size, and at the same time your ESR will also normalize.

Do not worry about this sir. It will soon normalize, I assure you that.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a beautiful life ahead. I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor