Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Suffering from ischial bursitis. MRI normal. Looking for permanent cure

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
i am suffering with ischial bursitis since last 4 years. (lower buttok pain when i sit at work).
I have experienced this problem first time May-2008. I have consulted Artho & Nuro doctors in Bangalore, India.
Artho doctor told me that , use round shaped cussion/pillo while sitting and heavy excersize.
Nuro doctor suggested for MRI scan. and He did not find any thing from MRI scan. He suggested me to go for excersizes.
I did not find any relief from excersizes.

Can i expect a treatment & perminent relief for this problem. I will consult the doctor , if i get permenent cure for my problem.

thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I can well understand that 4 years of suffering from your said condition of ischial/ischiogluteal bursitis. You have been reviewed by the physiotherapist, whose exercises have not been found useful. And MRI did not bring forth any evident findings by your neurologist and orthopedic surgeon.

Now, there are certain other next steps of therapy in your case which needs mention - like cold pack in a cloth, short course pain killer medications (non steroidal antiinflammatory drugs), antibiotics in case culture is positive, steroidal injections and surgical drainage.

All the above options need to be evaluated one by one and step wise up gradation of therapy is needed if pain persists as is evident in your case too.

Try discussing these with an orthopedic surgeon next time you pay a visit to see if any one of above needs good consideration. And most of all, do not worry - as this condition is well treatable in most cases without recurrence. Lastly, avoid sitting for long on hard surfaces.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from ischial bursitis. MRI normal. Looking for permanent cure 7 hours later
Thanks XXXXXXX I did research and found all these points from google.
but, i am looking for a Artho doctor/Physio who handled sucessfully this type of cases/patients. pl suggest the dotor in bangalore, where i can consult in this city only.

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 8 hours later

Thanks for the follow up - My answer regarding the treatment was in line to your question - "Can i expect a treatment & perminent relief for this problem."

Now, as you specifically want a reference for a doctor for the same - I can suggest an Orthopedic surgeon on a personal level here in my city who have successfully treated many patients, and not Bengaluru. Else, your google might be of superficial help as this search engine will find a specialist in your area, and not give you the expertise of orthopedic surgeon in this single case.

Physiotherapists are a different fraternity - and you might need a reference from an orthopedic surgeon first to get their opinion and therapy as the case may be.

Let me know and call to my secretary in case you need reference as above, and I shall be glad to do the needful.

You may write back for further queries.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from ischial bursitis. MRI normal. Looking for permanent cure 8 days later
pl provide me references & i will consult Orthopedic surgeon.
or pl provide me your phone contact / i will call your secratary for the same.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 7 hours later
You can call me on +91 0000 0000.

I shall discuss orally before I refer you for the same.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor