Suffering from irregular periods after taking depo provera injection. Feeling tired and bloating. Suggest

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I have irregular periods as in bleeding for almost 3 weeks then stops for 1. This has started since I had the depo provera injection. I didn't like the affects and so only had the one injection. I should've had second one at end of September but didnt. Since I had the injection my eight has increased by a stone and a half very rapidly and totally not normal for me. I am bloated most of the time especially immediately after eating. I am exercising at the gym 3 times a week but cannot lose the weight. I eat fruit and crackers with cream cheese during the day with normal balanced meal for tea and still struggling with weight. About a month ago I went to Doctor for feeling tired and frequent weeing. He did full blood tests which were all normal. He tested for celiac and diabetes too both negative. I have been on Orlistat for one month to try help get rid of the excess weight but still nothing changes. If I had ovarian cancer would it have shown on blood tests some abnormalities?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: CA-125 will help in detecting cancer. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The symptoms that you are having are likely to be related to the depo shot that you have taken. These are not suggestive of ovarian cancer. This can be ruled out by getting your blood CA 125 levels evaluated. Usually the irregular bleeding regularizes in 10-12 weeks. In case the bleeding is persistent then it is best to consult a gynecologist for a detailed examination and treatment. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.