Suffering from irregular periods. Getting back pain and feeling lightheaded. What's going on?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hello my name is XXXXXXX I am 33 years old. For about 6 years not I have notice that I have not had regular period. Sometimes I would miss a month or it would come on late and there are months where it would come on like clock work every 28 days. My last 3 periods have not been normal. October I thought I was to start my period on the 17th but instead it started on the 26th. Then in November I started on the 22 and in December I started on the 19 and this cycle was different from the rest because it normally only last for about 5 days and this on stayed on for about 10 days on the fifth day it was still pretty heavy and it normally gets light around the fourth day. Now its January and I thought was starting on the 15th of this month but nothing is happening. I took a hpt and of course it was negative. My stomach does feel funny and I my back hurts and earlier today I was feeling light headed. Could you possible tell me what might be going on with me.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thank you for trusting us with your health concern.

You are suffering from irregular periods, and it should be thoroughly investigated, as there could be various causes for this condition.

Firstly, stress, anxiety, emotional upheavals, fluctuations in weight - all these lead to an erratic menstrual cycle.
Another leading cause in women of reproductive ages, is polycystic ovarian disease ( PCOD ). It is a condition due to hormonal imbalances, where you fail to ovulate regularly each month, and have irregular cycles. Tests to be done are hormones like FSH and LH on day 2 of cycle, adrenal and thyroid hormonal profile, glucose tolerance test, lipid profile, and a transvaginal ultrasound that will clarify this condition. You would also require treatment in the form of weight loss, lifestyle and diet modification, and if you wish to conceive, maybe drug treatment to induce ovulation.
As mentioned earlier, thyroid and adrenal hormonal derangements contribute to irregular cycles.
Also, endometrial polyps, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, irregular thickening of the lining of the uterus , ovarian tumours - all of these are causes of irregular menstrual bleeding, which can be diagnosed by your gynecologist and a transvaginal scan.
If you are on any kind of hormonal medications, or certain other drugs which interfere with the menstrual cycle, that could be the reason for such irregular periods.
Many women do have irregular cycles even otherwise, without any apparent cause, but if the fluctuation between cycles is 8 days or more ( which is true in your case ), you need to be seen by a gynecologist and appropriate tests as described above, need to be done.
Also, if you have been trying to conceive, and it has been over a year , please see an Infertility Specialist for a thorough workup.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX
Thanks so much for a prompt response. I am going to make an appointment with a Gyn but in the meantime. Could you tell me why my stomach feels funny its not cramps and its not gas. Also as I stated before my back hurts and I feel light head and fatigue. I do get fatigue when my cycle is due but it has not started. I'm also very moody, I am driving my family crazy. :-)
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Hello again,
The upset stomach, and other mood changes could be easily explained as pre menstrual symptoms I think, as you would be about to have your period.
Thyroid or sex hormone disturbances also cause fatigue, back ache etc.
The moodiness and irritability is definitely a pointer of either pre menstrual syndrome or thyroid hormone disorder.
Also, get yourself evaluate for calcium and vitamin D deficiency.
It is surprisingly implicated in many of the symptoms you describe.
Also, you should not be anemic.
Make sure you get a healthy diet XXXXXXX in antioxidants , and adequate relaxation exercises like yoga/meditation.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Thanks again. You take as well
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Thanks for the appreciation.
Am always available for further discussions.