Suffering from interstitial cystitis. Taking elmiron along with atarax. Alternate medicine for elmiron?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi I have been on elmiron for a few years alongside atarax which has worked well but I can't get the elmiron anymore I was told that Glucosamine Sulphate 500mg with Chrondroitrin at 400mg twice a day from Natures aid would be a good replacement. I have also heard of a product called cystoprotek which would be better for me
I suffer with a condition called IC
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Hello

As far as the interstitial cystitis is concerned, cystoprotek is a better option. Glucosamine and chondroitin have no role in treating interstitial cystitis.
They are used as supplements in osteoarthritis. If you do have this diagnosis, then these drugs may be used after consulting your physician.

Atarax is an anti histaminic and anxiolytic. It is used in general anxiety disorders or allergic disorders like hay fever, urticaria, dermatosis, etc.

Ellmiron is interchangeable with cystoprotek but not with any other drug.

Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 16 hours later
In the mornings I take 1 Elmiron 1 Atarax 1 HRT and 1 Norgeston Minipill
Lunchtime I take a Multivitamin 1 Calcium 600mg 1 Magnesium 250mg 1 Elmiron
At night I take 1 Elmiron 1 Atarax 1 Senokot 1 Evening Primrose 1300mg and 1 Omega 3 at 1.000mg for dry eyes and was hoping to increase the omega 3 to 2 a day once I come off the Elmiron. The Atarax has been very good for the Bladder as I find it mast the cells well and occasionally take 1 Ibroprofen at 400g at night.
My Question is that if I stayed on the atarax I thought the Chrondroitrin coats the bladder which is my main concern and if I were to take the Cystoprotek would I stop the atarax which has worked very well it is the coating of the Bladder which is my main concern. Not sure what to do as I don't know if the other ingredients will react. how does the Cystoprotek compare to Elmiron and how many would I need to take a day I also suffer with osteoarthritis
In Cystoprotek it has Glucosamine and Chrondroitrin in it so I don't understand why you said thay Glucosamine and Chrondroitrin play no role in IC
Please explain. I have been told and also on the IC Network these ingredients have worked for lot's of people with IC
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 5 hours later

Atarax is an anti-histaminic which acts against mast cells. This is the main drug which will stop or halt the ongoing disease process. The decision to continue or stop it can be made only by your treating doctor.

Chondroitin sulphate and glucosamine helps in IC by forming a coating over the bladder wall. However, this effect is more pronounced when used intra-vesicaly (Inside the bladder).

The ingredients of elmiron are different from that of cystoprotek. If you want to replace elmiron with cystoprotek then please do it only under the guidance of your treating doctor. Please remember that elmiron is a medication used to treat IC. This has been supported by presently available research materials. But in case of Cystoprotek, it is a nutritional supplement. So, no much scientifically approved research data is available to support for its effectiveness.

Hope I have been able to clarify your doubts.

Let me know if you have more queries.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
YOU CAN ONLY GET CSTOPROTEK FROM ABROAD WILL TRY THE GLUCOSAMINE SULPHATE CHRONDROITRIN WITH THE ATARAX AND IBROPROFEN IF NEEDED
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 hours later
Yes, sure.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E