Suffering from interstitial cystitis. Taking elmiron along with atarax. Alternate medicine for elmiron?
I suffer with a condition called IC
Thanks for writing to us.
As far as the interstitial cystitis is concerned, cystoprotek is a better option. Glucosamine and chondroitin have no role in treating interstitial cystitis.
They are used as supplements in osteoarthritis. If you do have this diagnosis, then these drugs may be used after consulting your physician.
Atarax is an anti histaminic and anxiolytic. It is used in general anxiety disorders or allergic disorders like hay fever, urticaria, dermatosis, etc.
Ellmiron is interchangeable with cystoprotek but not with any other drug.
Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Lunchtime I take a Multivitamin 1 Calcium 600mg 1 Magnesium 250mg 1 Elmiron
At night I take 1 Elmiron 1 Atarax 1 Senokot 1 Evening Primrose 1300mg and 1 Omega 3 at 1.000mg for dry eyes and was hoping to increase the omega 3 to 2 a day once I come off the Elmiron. The Atarax has been very good for the Bladder as I find it mast the cells well and occasionally take 1 Ibroprofen at 400g at night.
My Question is that if I stayed on the atarax I thought the Chrondroitrin coats the bladder which is my main concern and if I were to take the Cystoprotek would I stop the atarax which has worked very well it is the coating of the Bladder which is my main concern. Not sure what to do as I don't know if the other ingredients will react. how does the Cystoprotek compare to Elmiron and how many would I need to take a day I also suffer with osteoarthritis
In Cystoprotek it has Glucosamine and Chrondroitrin in it so I don't understand why you said thay Glucosamine and Chrondroitrin play no role in IC
Please explain. I have been told and also on the IC Network these ingredients have worked for lot's of people with IC
Thanks for posting your query.
Atarax is an anti-histaminic which acts against mast cells. This is the main drug which will stop or halt the ongoing disease process. The decision to continue or stop it can be made only by your treating doctor.
Chondroitin sulphate and glucosamine helps in IC by forming a coating over the bladder wall. However, this effect is more pronounced when used intra-vesicaly (Inside the bladder).
The ingredients of elmiron are different from that of cystoprotek. If you want to replace elmiron with cystoprotek then please do it only under the guidance of your treating doctor. Please remember that elmiron is a medication used to treat IC. This has been supported by presently available research materials. But in case of Cystoprotek, it is a nutritional supplement. So, no much scientifically approved research data is available to support for its effectiveness.
Hope I have been able to clarify your doubts.
Let me know if you have more queries.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abdomen fluttering "interstitial cystitis"
- Interstitial cystitis tickling bladder
- Interstitial cystitis and flucloxacillin
- Baba ramdev medicine for interstitial cystitis treatment
- Aceclofenac interstitial cystitis
- Can i take tofranil for interstitial cystitis?
- Suffering with interstitial cystitis severe pain effective remedy
- Interstitial cystitis and thrush
- Can i take uricalm for interstitial cystitis?
- Bentonite clay and interstitial cystitis
- Getting dark and semi solid bowel movement in winter. What treatment is...
- Have movable lump under armpit. What could it be?
- Had sex while on period. Now getting stomach cramp. Any STD?
- Diabetic. Having pain and tingling sensation in arm. How to get relief?
- Presence of loose bodies in the knee joint. How to treat this problem?
- Stroke patient. Noticed swelling in mouth roof and pain in arm. Any ideas?
- Have food and drug allergies, low BP, headache and fluid discharge from...
- Have burning and itchy rash on toe with stiff ankle. Is this normal?
- Developed painless lesions on lower leg. Should I be concerned?
- Child having cough with fever and started vomiting. Suggest some...