Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suffering from insomnia. Not cured by medicine. What should I do to get cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 632 Questions
Dear Doctor,
I have already consulted number of Doctors in your panel.I am suffering from Insomnia for last 6 moths.I ahve been taking various medicines like Zolpidem-5mg most of the time and alternatively Aplrax-0.5mg,Larpose-2mg.I have not been able to get out of this.Nowadays I am taking Nurokind G and Ativan-2mg for 2 weeks.Can you suggest some way to taper off the medicine.Even with this I am not sleeping well.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 33 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX ....
Thanks for your query. Sedatives like alprax/larpose are not recommended for use beyond six weeks considering their abuse and addiction potential. You need not worry that you are dependent on the above drugs. We generally shift such patients to a regimen of longer acting benzodiazepine like clonazepam and then gradually taper it off. You can discuss with your psychiatrist regarding this option. Zolpidem is safer in this regard. Additionally i would suggest you to follow following steps of sleep hygiene:
1. Wake up at fixed time every day irrespective of when you go to sleep
2. Avoid tea/coffee/carbonated drinks after 7 PM
3. Comfortable bed, adequate darkness in room
4. Avoid lying down in bed except night for eg while watching TV
5. Avoid heavy meals in night
6.Avoid noon nap
Try to follow the above suggestions. Wish you sound sleep.
Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from insomnia. Not cured by medicine. What should I do to get cure? 13 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks !I have tried Clonazepam-0.25mg but it does not work Should I try a higher dose-say 0.5mg.How long should it be taken and how does one taper it off?.I have already taken Zolpidem for long time and 5 mg does not work-it gives sleep only for 2- 3 hours.
My problem is I have no psychiatrist whom I can consult.Can Clonazepam be taken alone or with Nurokind G?Thanks for your other suggestions.I am extremely worried about the habit forming.My work is affected.I have pain in my head and hands are stiff.What is the Indian brand name for Clonazepam?Awaiting your reply
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Clonazepam comes in trade name of petril/clonotril/rivotril. You can start with 1 mg in the night, reduce to 0.5 mg after 2 weeks, 0.25 mg after 4 weeks and stop altogether after 6 weeks. You can take neurokind-g along with it. Zolpidem you can take 5 mg tab only on those nights when necessary. Kindly follow the steps of sleep hygiene i mentioned to you earlier. This is a common problem and easily treatable. Do not worry.
Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from insomnia. Not cured by medicine. What should I do to get cure? 17 minutes later
Doc,Thanks for reply!This means that I have to take Clonazepam in reduced dosage as mentioned by you in a total of 12 weeks!This is 3 months! What about the side effects?Is it OK to take Nurokind G which also has side effects? Iam already suffering from side effects.What is the purpose of Nurokind-G?I will also try to XXXXXXX Dr XXXXXXX Mundhra of Hunduja Hospital Mumbai.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 5 minutes later
Ya you are right, it is a 3-month tapering regimen ! Though many do not follow this, this is the safest and guidelines-recommended way of tapering off sedatives. Else you may land up with rebound anxiety symptoms and insomnia. Neurokind G is a combination of mecobalamin, vitamin b12 and gabapentin which has pain-relieving properties. This drug does not have any significant side-effects. However, it has got nothing to do with your insomnia issue. Hope you gained some insight into the issue after our interaction.
Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor