Suffering from hypertension. What is the cause and the required treatment?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: am suffering in hypertension....what to do? what are causes in hypertension?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Hypertension (high BP) needs evaluation to find out the cause, and its treatment should be started.

In most cases, hypertension is familial (if father or mother have it, children have a higher risk of getting it).

In a young person like you, we need to look for secondary causes:

1. Kidney problems- such as kidney failure, infections of kidneys, decreased blood flow in kidneys, etc

2. Hormonal problems- of adrenal gland

This evaluation can be done under the guidance of a good physician or cardiologist.

For treatment, you should start a BP lowering medication, such as amlodipine or telmisartan.

You should also do exercises on a regular basis. Reduce salt in the diet.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Vellore) DM (Vellore)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thanks doctor....for your valuable answer.

i already consullted the doctor 6 months back that time particular doctor gave the prescription of Aten 25 for 10 days..... can i continue the same or need to go for check up to doctor....

Exercise in the sense...what type of exercise will give good result of hpertension
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

1. If your BP is controlled, you can continue Aten 25 mg daily.

2. Exercises that are helpful include brisk walking or jogging for 20-25 minutes daily or cycling or swimming or running on a treadmill (20-25 minutes daily, at least five days a week).

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar