Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suffering from high BP and taking medication. Developed facial paralysis, unable to talk and eat. Only right hand is working. Is it curable?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5574 Questions
Enclosed is image of my Grand mother. Her age is 75.
She suffers from High BP Problem and been using medicines from one month to keep BP under control.
Suddenly yesterday night , she developed facial paralysis , she was unable to talk and eat. Subsequently, from morning she is unable to walk , her both legs lost sensation and only her right hand is working. Request to go through her face in which the deformity of nose and mouth can be clearly seen . I need your suggestion, whether this desaese is curable? Ans how shall we proceed with
further investigations and diagnosis of disease. Is paralysis curable? Will she able to take solid diet?
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be brain stroke

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query regarding your grandmother's illness.

Based on the description, it seems to be a case of brain stroke. There are two types of brain stroke, one in which the blood supply to brain is reduced (ischemic type) and the other where bleeding occurs in the brain (hemorrhage type).

The diagnosis can be made by doing a brain scan, either CT or MRI scan of brain. This can be reviewed by a neurologist and appropriate medications can be started.

In addition, her risk factors for stroke, such as BP, cholesterol, etc should be kept under control.

She would also need to undergo physiotherapy, including exercises. With all these treatments, we can expect a good recovery.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor