Suffering from hiccups. Tried medicine and syrup but no help. What is the best remedy?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am 31 years old(Male). I am suffering from hiccups for the last three days. I tried many medicines and syrup but it is not working. Please suggest me some remedy.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks fir writing in to us. Hiccups occur due to stimulation of phrenic nerve. In most people hiccups do not rrequire medical treatment and subsides on it's own Iin a few minutes to hours. The phrenic nerve may get irritates because of any underlying medical condition and cause your hiccups. Treatment of that illness may stop the hiccups. An ENT surgeon will be able to guide you in case any medical problem is present. If no mother illness is present, treatment with the following medications in prescribed doses may help for hiccups that have lasted longer than two days. Drugs commonly used are Chlorpromazine, an aantipsychotic Metoclopramide, an anti-nausea drug Baclofen, a muscle relaxant If the problem remains untreated, you might require an injection of an anesthetic to block your phrenic nerve. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek