Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Suffering from hiccups. Feeling burning sensation and pain in lung. History of gastric problem. Any cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 353 Questions
Since last 6-8 months, sometimes I start feeling burning sensation near the central part of the lung region. Also, when I press there, I feel some pain. Sometimes, I feel some tension and fast beat there. I also have a problem of hiccups and I feel blockage near my throat many at times. A year back, when i showed to doctor, He told that I have gastric problem and gave tablets by name PAN. I used it, though not completely. But I did not see any improvement.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Your history of burning sensation at lung region, fast heartbeat, some tension is more likely to be indicative of gastro-esophageal reflux disease [GERD].

If symptoms are more severe after food and often worsens when lying down. It suggests more of GERD.

I would recommend you to take Cap Omez 20 mg, two times for two weeks. It is a prescription drug; please get it prescribed by a physician. It is best taken an hour before meals.

If symptoms do not come down, consult gastroenterologist who might add one more drug, where the combination needs to be taken for 2-4 weeks.

If symptoms continue, upper gastrointestinal endoscopy needs to be done.

Upper endoscopy diagnoses conditions in Throat, esophagus, stomach, and duodenum.

Along with drugs do lifestyle modifications as follows-

If you smoke, stop.
Avoid foods and beverages that worsen symptoms.
Lose weight if needed.
Eat small, frequent meals.
Wear loose-fitting clothes.
Avoid lying down for 3 hours after a meal.
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, feel free to revert.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor