Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suffering from hemorrhoid. Trying to quit using meth. How to get rid of this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
I am trying to help my husband quit smoking meth, any substitue that I can get for him please? he start suffering from hemmroid as well I dont know if it is related. PLease I got to help him!
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your efforts in helping your husband quit smokin Meth. Now, Meth is a powerful stimulant drug. Meth addiction can result in prominemt and unpleasant withdrawal symptoms while quitting, which is one of the major reasons why a person finds it difficult to come off the drug.

There are various claims of substitutes and supplements (mostly sold online) which supposedly help in easing the symptoms of withdrawal. But these claims are unvalidated and many of these substances themselves are addictive, and sometimes, even XXXXXXX I would suggest that the best option would be to get professional help for his meth addiction. There are effective medicines which can not only control his withdrawal symptoms, but also reduce the cravings / urges to take the drug. Since, Meth is a stimulant drug, persons withdrawing from it can often experience depressive symptoms, in addition to physical and mental fatique. So, certain anti-depressants are effective in preventing and controlling these symptoms and help the person stay relaxed.

In addition, he would also need professional counselling to improve his motivation and prevent him from going back to the habit. There are good psychological therapies like Motivational Enhancement Therapy which can give long-lasting results. Often persons with addiction problems need to be taught strategies and tactics to deal with future craving and prevent relapse. So, I think he would benefit a lot from professional help.

I would advise you to take him to a psychiatrist for further help - both in the form of medication and counselling - to help him overcome his meth addiction.

The hemorrhoids are unrelated to smoking meth and he needs a proper physical examination, in order to decide on treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor