Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suffering from heartburn. Diagnosed with acid reflux and anxiety disorder. Chances of cancer or chronic disease?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 922 Questions
I've had heartburn starting from 2 months ago. I'm 22 years old female, overall healthy. Saw doctor and did blood work/urine work. All normal. H.Pylori test negative. Diagnosed with acid reflux. Taking Prilosec (acid blocker) and does not seem to be helping. Heartburn goes away and comes back. Also I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. Could this be the cause or could it be that I am suffering from some sort of cancer or chronic disease?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Your information is suggestive of a classic stress related gastritis

The reflux symptoms need a prokinetic like domperidone along with prilosec

And the treatment needs to be continued for atleast four to six weeks before you can expect a cure

It does not seem to be any sort of cancer ?

Manage your stress levels and go for meditation and regular excercise

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from heartburn. Diagnosed with acid reflux and anxiety disorder. Chances of cancer or chronic disease? 53 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response. This is what I was thinking too. I am just concerned about the heartburn coming back again and again. Do you know what similar medicine like domperidone I can get in the United States? How much longer would you suggest I take the Prilosec? Would you suggest an appointment with a gastroenterologist?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 24 hours later

You may take somthing like Itopride

Prilosec may go on for atleast six weeks as safety reports have been established for fifteen years now

As of now you do not need to go for a gastroentrologist in case this does not rspond you may go for an upper G I Endoscopy

Am there for followup queries
Get well soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor