Suffering from hair problem. White hair on eyebrows, chest and shoulders. Suggest medication

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi DR, I am writing from pune , my age is 32.I am suffering from hair problem. My top hair of my head are 70% white and I am dying it, But my hair of my eyebrows, Chest and shoulder are going white that to in fast progress and it is not normal. As I noticed it is going white first from top then to bottom. when I plucked one black hair there is some white substance present on the top root and bottom root is black,But hen I plucked a white hair the white substance is present fully from top root to bottom root. I have consulted with dr`s in pune, but nobody has treated with proper diagnosing my problem, either treated with proteins and vitamins or responded that problem of white hairs are untreatable. As the progress is to fast I feel that there should be some problem going on. I request you to please suggest to me in regard to this. I am also ready to do tests regarding to this if suggested. Please consult me with proper medicine and test if required.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for the query. White hairs appear due to loss of melanin. It is a genetically determined condition and very difficult to treat. There is an enzyme test to detect activity of melanin formation. It is called as tyrosinase test. This test can tell exactly what is the problem. You may XXXXXXX a trichologist and get your self tested. Regarding treatment, you cannot expect great results as it is very difficult to induce melanin synthesis. Let me know if you have any other doubts . Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj