Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suffering from gastric ulcer. Taking Acera-D. Any alternate of this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 554 Questions
Hello Doctor, My father was taking the below pill while in India. He was suffering from gastric ulcer with minor chestburn. The pill was Acera-D(Enteric-Coated Rabeprazole Sodium & Domperidone SR Capsules)
I would appreciate your recommendation on equivalent drug that is available in US. Currently he is in US.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX

Rabeprazole belongs to proton pump inhibitor class of drugs used to decrease gastric acid secretion, indicated in peptic acid disorders.

It is available in US with a brand name of AcipHex 20 mg. Domperidone is not approved for use in United States. However, do not worry it is an anti-emetic (given during vomiting). The two combinations are required in vomiting due to gastritis. In addition, domperidone may not be needed at all for gastric ulcer patients without symptoms of vomiting.

I think your father will be OK with aciphex...

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from gastric ulcer. Taking Acera-D. Any alternate of this? 5 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
May i request for the dosage and the number of days AcipHex 20mg can be taken? Also, kindly provide an e-prescription for the above drug so that i can purchase the same in the pharmacy store. I'm not sure if this can be available in stores like walgreens without prescription.

As a last note, please let me know if this drug is ok with regular diabetic pill.

Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 27 minutes later
Thanks for follow up,

It is taken 20 mg empty stomach in the morning once daily only. If the symptom is severe and not being controlled on 20 mg, then 40 mg can be taken similarly. May require 2-4 weeks to fully heal the ulcer if any, but it is the life style modification which is ultimately going to help like avoiding spices, chilies, alcohol, cigarettes, taking meals 2-4 hrs before going to bed, sleeping with head end of bed slightly elevated, avoiding too much of water during meal (better just take some sips during meal and up to satisfaction 1-1.5 hrs after).

You will need a prescription from a local doctor to get the medicine.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor