Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suffering from gall bladder problem. Advised for fat and oil free diet. Started vomiting after taking pan 40. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 353 Questions

My wife is suffering from gall bladder problem for the past three months, initially she had two polpys but after two week when she took scan polyps has been multiplied in gall bladder
Doctor has advised for a fat free and oil free diet so that the problem will automatically disappear and no need to worry about that
But whenever she eats oil diet like potato fry or Yam fry or not taking diet in regular time she is having severe problem in gall bladder she says as if some popcorn like particles are bumping over there. She has severe voimitting but after taking Pan 40 and taking bland diet this problem disappears

Please suggest the ways to avoid this problem. Must i take any further steps to permanantly eradicate it

Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

As per your history, your wife is having gall bladder polyps which are increasing in number.
Gall bladder polyps unless smaller than 1 cm, are prone to become cancerous.
So follow-up of polyps by every 6 mths ultrasound is must to rule out cancerous changes.

Polyps are unlikely to dissolve by themselves.

If polyps are more than 1 cm and many in numbers, cholecystectomy is treatment of choice.

If your wife is having small polyps, following dieting changes helps to reduce symptoms.

1] Ask your physician to prescribe fish oil capsule XXXXXXX in omega-3,which reduce the amount of cholesterol formation in bile..
2] Stay away from carbonated drinks
3] Use low fat diary products
4] Use leaner cuts of meat and remove visible fat before cooking.
5] Use more ginger and tumeric in cooking, which have been shown to be good for the gallbladder.

So keep follow up for polyp size and number and if symptoms become severe, you can go for surgical removal of gallbladder.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from gall bladder problem. Advised for fat and oil free diet. Started vomiting after taking pan 40. Concerned 3 days later

Thanks for your explanation, one more query, we went to gastroentologyst, this weekend. He says gall bladder is silent and suspects this is due to food allergy and suggested a blood test which gives a list of food articles which are allergic.
He has suggested for another ultrasound scan after six months. Acutally when we observed she is getting this sensation when she takes fried items made of Potato,yam, Peas and when her food intake is not regular

But yesterday when she did not take food on time again she got the symptom of some popcorns jumping inside stomach, once she took the food she felt ok.

Let me know if you have any further comments to add on this. This is just for the purpose of having second opinion and not for cross checking another doctors view

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Silent gallbladder, means inflammatory/neoplastic changes are not present.
So feeling of jumping popcorns could be result of food allergy as doctor says.

So go ahead with mentioned test and avoid allergenic food. Still I would recommend you to follow-up gall bladder polyps every 6 mths if they are present on ultrasound.
Ask your wife to avoid fried food and have meals on time. If problem resolves then no need to take medicines too.
I hope I have clarified your doubt. Revert back in case of other doubts.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor