Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Suffering from functional dysphonia. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2610 Questions
I am suffering from functional dysphonia and cannot find any treatment.pls advice
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
The most common treatments for functional dysphonia are symptomatic in nature. These treatments target excess or dysregulated laryngeal muscle tension and include yawn-sigh, resonant voice therapy, visual and electromyographic biofeedback, progressive relaxation, and circumlaryngeal massage.
Circumlaryngeal massage is used to stretch muscle and fascia, help remove metabolic wastes, promote circulation, relax tense muscles, and relieve pain from muscle spasms. As a result, the larynx is lowered and the range of motion increased. This results in improvement of vocal function in patients with functional dysphonia. Other treatments include education in vocal hygiene and nondirective counseling.
I advice you to consult the physician and discuss with him regarding the treatment.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor