Suffering from frequent urination and abdominal pain. What is the disease?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi, I've recently been urinating very frequently every 2 hours approximately and an acute pain in my abdomen has started. At first I thought I'd just left my trip to the toilet too long and the was the cause of the abdomen pain but the last couple of days it's been there even after urinating. I'm not sure if this will have any relevance but I've recently started working 14 hour shifts and it seems this started when I started doing these insane hours. The urine is nearly clear and usually a 'normal' amount I.e. Not just a drizzle. Any thoughts on what that could be? Thanks
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
Frequency of micturition with the pain is suggestive of infection in the urinary tract, most probably in the bladder.
The next step would be to give urine samples for analysis and culture to check for the causative bacteria, which could be done in consultation with the doctor.
Meanwhile, antibiotics can be started awaiting results.
The antibiotics may have to be changed, if necessary, based on the results.
Meanwhile
1.     Oral fluids in adequate quantities.
2.     Cranberry juice two to three times daily,
Should help.
You need to attend emergency if
1.     There is fever.
2.     Nausea or vomiting.
3.     Unable to eat or drink in sufficient quantities.
Wishing you good health--

Best regards
DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 13 hours later
Hi, thank-you for your reply.

I'm in the middle of nowhere at the moment in western australia, providing I drink lots of water and cranberry juice will i be able to wait 2 weeks. I know it's not ideal but I literally have no way to get to a doctor until then, I just want to ensure it won't cause permanent damage if I leave it for two weeks. Thanks
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 44 minutes later
Welcome back.

Its unfortunate that you do not have medical access.
Permanent damage is unlikely from this problem, but once you have access, it is wise to consult.

Till then, please see if you are able to get

1. Anti spasmodics- those medicines given for tummy ache- DICYCLOMINE.
2. Antibiotics- those given for injuries - like AMOXICILLIN.

If you get these, can be taken each three times daily after food for 5 days.
Kindly take medical help as early as you can.

Best regards
Dr GS