Suffering from fissure and piles. Having mild itching and pain. Looking for treatment

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello doctor......6 month back my wife got fissure.When we contacted doctor told its because of infection.He gave antibiotics and mucipet ointment My wife have completely recovered from that. But 2 month before my wife got again fissure and piles. Piles is in second degree .This time my wife was having mild itching and pain. Both the time he did VRS for examination.He told have to do IRC and LORD'S procedure.But now my wife dont have fissure and having mild irritation only somedays not all the days. My question is whether my wife have go through all these procedure? She is very much scared about operations. Is strict diet will solve the second degree piles? What is the percentage of re-occurance even after doing procedure?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 13 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in

If the symptoms have settled you may go for management of constipation as of now and reconsider getting operated if the symptoms reoccur

Diet and fiber can help control constipation and in turn help control fissures

Second degree piles can be treated conservatively but you can not expect a permanent cure with medicines

Chances of reoccurance after IRC are around 20-22%

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts
Wishing your wife a healthy life ahead
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later
Thanks for reply doctor...I am having fallow up question though...My wife never had constipation problem. She used to have semisolid stool and had fissures. Now she has only itching problem in that area. Is fissure and piles are inter-related? Means if fissure is not there...is it correct to assume even piles is also not there. Or atleast for piles she has to go through procedure? Basically can we avoid operation for now?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 14 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back again

Even if she has no constipation fiber will help her a lot

Itching can be because of fissure/Piles/worms/collitis and/or local skin condition

Piles and fissure can exist individually or in combination

As mentioned earlier you may avoid surgery now and wait for the response of treatment

Hope this clears your doubts
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing your wife a speedy recovery