Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Suffering from fibromyalgia. On physiotherapy. Which specialist to consult?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10407 Questions
My wife is 30 years old.
We have a 5 month old baby.
My wife has been suffering from fibromyalgia for almost 4 years now. Is there any specialist we an consult(she is on physiotherapy constantly)
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic syndrome which is taken care of with the help of low dose tricyclic antidepressants like doxepin or fluoxetine along with pregabalin.
Pain killers, anti inflammatories, massage therapy, physiotherapy, accupuncture are other treatment options.
She needs to consult an orthopedician who can regulate her doses of various drugs according to her symptoms. Once the pain is relieved, physiotherapy has got not much role in relieving the symptoms. Hot fomentation of the affected areas is helpful.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor