Suffering from fever and cold. Not cured by antibiotic and fever tablet. Suggest effective medicine

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi,

I am suffering from fever and cold since 4 or 5 day’s, I have taken Vicks action 500 & other fever tablet with antibiotic, but not recover from fever.

Kindly suggest the medicine or health checkup.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

With your symptoms of cold and fever, it is looking you are suffering from bacterial infection.
You can continue paracetamol 500 mg every 6th hourly if there is fever and you can take oral antihistamine like cetrizine tablet at bedtime for cold.

What are the antibiotic and fever tablets you are taking now? And, how many times?

Please let me know the information to advise you specifically.

Hope I have answered your query. if you have any clarification, please let me know.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 21 minutes later
Dear Sir,

I have taken antibiotic three times (M,E,M) only but still not recovered and also don't have the cold currently only suffering from little fever.

Kindly help

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

As there is no cold now, no drug for cold is required. For fever you can continue taking paracetamol tablets. I would like to know about the name of the antibiotic you had been taking and its dosage. Since how many days are you on this antibiotic?

If fever is persisting even after proper dosage of the medications, you will have to be examined by your treating physician. Blood tests, urine test and chest X-ray may be required to decide over the appropriate treatment.

Meanwhile, kindly send the details of drug name, strength and the duration.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan