Suffering from fever. Not cured by calpol. What should be done to get relief?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: hello doctor my father is suffering from fever since 5-6 days the doctor advised to give him calpol but the fever remains in the body after we gave medicine about 99-100 so what we can do. plz suggest also we gave him ezax -500
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
I understand your concern but just don't worry as everything should settle soon.
In the absence of any detail from you regarding your father's symptom,I have certain points to tell you.
1.. Whenever fever persists for more than 5 days,it should be investigated properly and then medicines given accordingly.
2...there is no need to give any anti biotic unnecessarily.
3.. Anti biotic is to be given when the presence of infection is certain and confirmed.
4... since your father is diabetic,there are all the chances to get lung or urine infection.
5... Get following investigations done
CBC
Malaria antigen
TYPHIDOT 
Urine microscopy
Chest x-ray
Ultrasound abdomen.

These are basic tests and normally one is able to diagnose the cause within these tests.In case cause is not found with these tests,one may have to go for further tests.

Till the cause is found,keep giving CALPOL for the fever or body ache.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 minutes later
Sir,

All these test we had done a month ago but all are clear and the reports are ok we also cheked up with the aiims doctors because the treatment is done on there only and also one main thing may father is suffering from the process of making cough in his chest from last 10 years we checkup wid the doctors but they only said this caused due to allergy but they cant find out through which the allergy caused
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 25 minutes later
I couldn't understand why these tests were done one  month back,if your father is having fever for past 5 to 6 days only.It indicates that fever is present for past more than a month.
Since these investigations are one month old you must get fresh CBC done along with urine and blood culture,sputum culture and x- XXXXXXX chest.
Prolonged low grade fever for more than a month generally indicates some underlying infection and must be thoroughly investigated.
Allergic cough is very common and can have various causes like smoke,dust,pollution,pollen etc.

In case you want to ask something,you are most welcome.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 minutes later
Sir,

Last month he has the same situation therefore theses tests done so we had done all the tests. but the same problem repeats after and 15 days. so please tell me now what to do.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I presume that you have got all the tests done mentioned by me including blood,urine and sputum culture.
Please get CT chest along with CT abdomen done in consultation with your physician who is dealing the case of your father.
Thanks.