Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Suffering from fever. Not cured by calpol. What should be done to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
hello doctor my father is suffering from fever since 5-6 days the doctor advised to give him calpol but the fever remains in the body after we gave medicine about 99-100 so what we can do. plz suggest also we gave him ezax -500
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for the query.
I understand your concern but just don't worry as everything should settle soon.
In the absence of any detail from you regarding your father's symptom,I have certain points to tell you.
1.. Whenever fever persists for more than 5 days,it should be investigated properly and then medicines given accordingly.
2...there is no need to give any anti biotic unnecessarily.
3.. Anti biotic is to be given when the presence of infection is certain and confirmed.
4... since your father is diabetic,there are all the chances to get lung or urine infection.
5... Get following investigations done
Malaria antigen
Urine microscopy
Chest x-ray
Ultrasound abdomen.

These are basic tests and normally one is able to diagnose the cause within these tests.In case cause is not found with these tests,one may have to go for further tests.

Till the cause is found,keep giving CALPOL for the fever or body ache.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from fever. Not cured by calpol. What should be done to get relief? 5 minutes later

All these test we had done a month ago but all are clear and the reports are ok we also cheked up with the aiims doctors because the treatment is done on there only and also one main thing may father is suffering from the process of making cough in his chest from last 10 years we checkup wid the doctors but they only said this caused due to allergy but they cant find out through which the allergy caused
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 25 minutes later
I couldn't understand why these tests were done one  month back,if your father is having fever for past 5 to 6 days only.It indicates that fever is present for past more than a month.
Since these investigations are one month old you must get fresh CBC done along with urine and blood culture,sputum culture and x- XXXXXXX chest.
Prolonged low grade fever for more than a month generally indicates some underlying infection and must be thoroughly investigated.
Allergic cough is very common and can have various causes like smoke,dust,pollution,pollen etc.

In case you want to ask something,you are most welcome.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from fever. Not cured by calpol. What should be done to get relief? 2 minutes later

Last month he has the same situation therefore theses tests done so we had done all the tests. but the same problem repeats after and 15 days. so please tell me now what to do.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I presume that you have got all the tests done mentioned by me including blood,urine and sputum culture.
Please get CT chest along with CT abdomen done in consultation with your physician who is dealing the case of your father.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor