Suffering from factor v leiden. Will it be safe to take vitamin b?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Genetics
Question: SHOULD PEOPLE SUFFERING FROM FACTOR V LEIDEN BE PRESCRIBED STRONG DOSES OF VITAMIN B WOULD IT SEVERELY INCREASE THE VISCOSITY OF THE RED BLOOD CELLS AS THE BLOOD IS PRONED TO THICKENING ANYWAY?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are 8 B vitamins. There are Vitamin B1, B2, B3,B5,B6 ,B7, B9 (folic acid) and vitamin B12.
Vitamin B9 and vitamin B 12 are the ones involved in red blood cell production.

There have been some studies that have indirectly looked at the influence of vitamin B12 and clotting. These studies , for example one presented in CMAJ in 2005, looked at levels of vitamin B12 in patients with plaques or clots in their carotid arteries. They also checked the levels of a substance called homocysteine. It found that persons with low levels of vitamin B12 and therefore high levels of homocysteine, are more likely to have clots.
Normally vitamin B12 results in a decrease in homocysteine levels and homocysteine has been implicated in blood clots.

Folic acid also results in a decrease in homocysteine levels.

Oral contraceptives and hormone replacement therapy are not allowed.
There is no indication that vitamins would adversely affect clotting.

If still unsure , it may be best to consult your haematologist.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions