Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suffering from facial pain. X-ray showed circular blob in upper side of face. Could this be fat?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I have been experiencing right sided facial pain for a while and i went to a doctor to get an xray to see if there were any broken bones. The xray shows no broken bones but there is this weird circular blob thing in the upper side of my face that i am wondering about. This is where my pain originates and i was wondering what this would be in an xray since i didn't get to ask my doctor at the time i was just happy there was nothing broken. Could this be fat or maybe just a mistake in the xray?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Most likely be suffering from trigeminal neuralgia Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am very glad to be able to assist you with your condition. Based, on your description, the problem seems to be originating from a nerve injury. I suspect that you might be suffering from trigeminal neuralgia. Trigeminal neuralgia is a nerve disorder that causes a stabbing or electric-shock-like pain in parts of the face. The pain of trigeminal neuralgia comes from the trigeminal nerve. This nerve carries the feelings of touch and pain from the face, eyes, sinuses, and mouth to the brain. Trigeminal neuralgia may be caused by: - Multiple sclerosis - Compressive mass on that side of face - Idiopathic or unknown cause. But causes can be determined in people younger than 40 years. As for the the x-ray, there is a right-sided opacity that looks like an abnormal mass or gland. It is actually unspecific and maybe pathologic. I will recommend you do an MRI and trigeminal reflex testing. Your doctor may also wish to investigate further on other possible causes of facial pain such as myofascial pain syndrome etc. X-ray might not show any good information. Your doctor will have to confirm or rule out my suspicion before effective treatment can be given. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor