Suffering from erectile dysfunction. What is causing this and cure?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Erectile Dysfunction
Question: I am unable to hold my erection for too long. I have never had this problem. I am a bit worried.There is no such other symptom.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I read about your problem and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Since you are just 32 year young adult I don't think you will have any serious organic / physical problem.

2) Some event which causes pressure in life or tension in either professional or personal life might have led to this problem.

3) Hence I would like you to follow regular exercise, and meditation, yoga so that you can get relaxed.

4) If things don't improve after performing relaxation techniques, you can decide on the next course of action. Hence I would advice you to relax and take things easily.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 38 hours later
Doc, it feels as if the nerve which is responsible for pleasure has vanished.. Is it nothing to worry about? even if I get an erection it ia too soft. Do i need to go i. For any tests? This has been goin on for around two weeks. Please help
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Glad to see your reply. You are a healthy young man. I am pretty sure you have no physical problem. My only advice would be to be stress free & relaxed. I am sure you will have good sex life. Your thoughts need to be positive. When you are with your sex partner, I am sure your sexual drive & pleasure will be fine. Just take a break.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 28 hours later
I visited the doc today.. He says i have erectile disfunction. He has prescribed penagra and duralast. Ate these cures for ED?Will I be able to be father? Will this affect my fertilty. Doc says this is happening because of anxiety and lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 20 minutes later
I am glad you visited a doctor. I was telling you about the same aspect of stress and need for relaxation. The doctor has blamed anxiety and life style which are same issues. You need to modify your lifestyle and be stress free. These tablets he has prescribed are to be used 30 minutes before having intercourse. Let me caution you that THESE TABLETS ARE NOT PERMANENT CURE FOR ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION. They are helpful only if taken before intercourse. Hence I suggest my above advice instead of medicines. Try relaxing and then have intercourse. I do not think you have erectile dysfunction. Its anxiety, stress and a faulty lifestyle.
Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 43 hours later
Thanks for your reply doc. You would understand that this is a very bad problem to have at this age and that is where my anxiety is coming from. I would definitely try to change my lifestyle. However is there any other way to teat this at this point of time.Also would like to know details regarding Ed. How is it caused , how does it affect fertilty etc.. Thanks
I want to know the details because I do not want to get addicted to these drugs at all. Also would like to know how long would it normally take to get cured and what exactly do you mean by lifestyle change? Thanks fpr your help doc

Based on your description, I do not feel you have erectile dysfunction (ED). Erection is grossly affected by anxiety and stress and therefore you may just have anxiety and stress that affects the erection.

If I were to be your treating doctor, I would recommend the following:
1) Stop smoking and alcohol
2) Every day go for jog or exercise 30 min.
3) Have fat free diet.
4) Stay away from too much caffeine.

First keep in mind that you are normal. I don't think you have ED.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad