Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

174 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Is this a curable problem?

Answered by
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 2190 Questions

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Erectile Dysfunction
Question: Dear Doctor,
My Name is XXXXXXX and my age is 32. I am unmarried, I have some erectile dysfunction. I used to mastrubrate for 4 years. For the last 2 years, I am unable to get a hard on for penetration. Now also I mastrubrate, but can able to maintain hard on for more than 1 min. Please guide me to regain my health. Early morning I get a hard on while sleeping. Is this curable. I am planning to get married in next 3 months.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your problem of erectile dysfunction is the most common sexual problem in men. Now, there can be a variety of causes for this problem - both medical causes as well as psychological causes. So, the first and most important step in management is proper evaluation. This will include a detailed medical, sexual, personal and social history, a thorough physical examination and certain investigations, as per the necessity. This is both informative to the doctor and serves as an opportunity to educate the patient and clarify his doubts.

Firstly, any medical causes (like diabetes, hormonal problems, blood flow problems, etc.) need to be ruled out. For this, you may need to undergo a few blood tests. In your case, since you have mentioned that you are able to have good erections at certain times, for example early mornings, it is less likely that you may be having a major medical cause for your erection problem. Sometimes, patients are also advised to have a nocturnal penile tumescence testing done as this test helps to differentiate between medical and psychological causes.

Having said this, I would also like to let you know that in more than 80% of cases of erectile dysfunction, psychological factors also play a major role in causing or aggravating the problem. Stress, anxiety, fears and doubts regarding sexual performance, feelings of sexual inadequacy, self-doubts, guilt, past negative sexual experiences, etc. can all affect sexual functioning and performance.

Treatment is targeted according to the findings on evaluation. If there are any underlying medical problems resulting in the erectile dysfunction, then those problems have to be first treated. If he problem is more psychological, then removing the person's doubts and fears, and improving his self-confidence levels will also definitely help in improving sexual performance. Also, there are certain medication which improve the blood flow to the penis and promote better erection, such as Sildenafil, Vardenafil and Tadalafil. But medication is usually advised only as the last resort and in severe cases.

So, I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist or a sexologist in person to have a detailed assessment and evaluation done. Also, avoid alcohol, smoking or any unnecessary medication and try to stay stress-free and positive.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Tumescence

doctor1 MD

I am 27 years old men and suffering from Erectile Distinction. Till I was 25 I was getting very healthy erections.But that was a time when (due to wrong advice) I started using very tight supporter/undergarment while doing exercise in Gym.I was...

doctor1 MD

Hello Dr, I am 30,male. Is there any specific reasons of not having well grown beared on face?I get them on chin but not on the cheeks,I also get the mustache. But beared is my concern.What can be the treatment for this? Also I lack hair on other...

doctor1 MD

i have no facial hair, i'm 23 now...advice any midical procedure or treatment to grow facial hair.

doctor1 MD

Hey Doctor...Hii, Well I wanted to ask that today I masturbated with soap and finally took out some sperm for the first time at the age of 15 and its like I have been masturbating before too with vaseline and lotions but couldnt make it and before I didnt used to masturbate much I just used to give up but today I was like continuously masturbating with wet soap and finaly I got the result that I am a matured boy.But,my question was,as I finished masturbating and the semen ejaculated my penis went down it detumescence and when I again tried to erect it the erection wasnt happening with the wet soap and then later on when I washed up everything my penis erected alot of times. and I had one more question:How can I increase the length or size of my penis?? So,I request you to please guide me through the proper channel and advice me what to do next.

doctor1 MD

im a femaie , my male friend has ed , i am really worried for him as he is very depressed , ihe won t enter into any kind of relationship with a woman he says he feels he is not normal , he has suffererd from this for 3 years , has tried everything , but wont take medication . I personally think he needs to train his negative thoughts . I m at my wits end /

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 30 year old and my husband is32year old, it s now 7th year of my marriage. This is about my husband .he is not interested in sex or inter course. We have done some test of him like s.TSH, prolactin , testosterone ,lh/ fsh , CBS/s. insulin etc. But all the reports comes in prescribed range.this problem is from more than 5 years. What should we do now

doctor1 MD

is there any effective home remidy to reduce pearly penile papules?