Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffering from dysentery. Suggest some medicine

Answered by
Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1997

Answered : 274 Questions

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having Dysentery since yesterday. I took two capsule Norflox-TZ but still its not working. Do suggest me some good medicine.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Dysentery is an inflammatory disorder of the intestine, especially of the colon, resulting in severe diarrhoea (frequent stools) containing mucus and/or blood in the feces associated with fever, abdominal pain and rectal tenesmus (a feeling of incomplete defecation). Do you have similar symptoms? If not, I would be interested in knowing your symptoms.

Most often the condition is self limiting where symptoms resolve in a few days (no longer than a week). The frequency of urges to defecate, the volume of feces passed, and the presence of mucus, pus and blood depend on the pathogen that is causing the disease - the most severe symptoms are associated with bacterial infections. However viruses and parasitic infections can also present with milder symptoms. Therefore it is important to identify the specific cause.

With this back ground, I shall proceed to answer your query.

1. Norflox-TZ is pill effective against most bacterial as well as parasitic infection associated with colon infection. However it does take 2-3 days to effectively reduce the symptoms. As you have just taken 2 doses, please continue the pill for another 3 days.

2. Antidiarrheal drugs like Tablet Lomotil (1 or 2 pills) may be used under the cover of antibiotic (Norflox-TZ) to reduce frequency of stools. This pill is not available over the counter at some regions. Please check with your nearest pharmacist about its availability over the counter.

3. It is important to watch for symptoms of dehydration such as reduced thirst, reduced urination, disorientation, generalised weakness, muscle cramps, etc. You may need hospitalisation if these symptoms of dehydration are present now.

4. Drink plenty of oral fluids. Take Electral powder mix it with 1 litre of water & drink that water in 6 hours time. Coconut water is an useful replacement alternatively.

Despite the following measures, if you don’t notice improvement in a day or two, then I recommend a visit to the nearest doctor. Stool routine & microscopy examination is in order to identify the causative pathogen.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question, I will be happy to help you.

Wish you a speedy recovery...


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later
Thank you. I also want to know that should I take omez or aciloc with Norflox?
How many capsules of Norflox should I take per day?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 21 minutes later

The dose and frequency of medications depend on the severity and type of symptoms. Therefore it is best to get it prescribed by a doctor after a physical evaluation.

In general, omeprazole/pantoprazole 20mg (instead) twice a day before food can be taken if there are symptoms of hyperacidity. And Norflox-TZ twice a day would suffice. Please discuss with your current physician and get a personalised prescription containing the dose and frequency of the medications.

Hope this suffices. I will be available for further guidance.

Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Waterborne diseases

doctor1 MD

After exercise Sunday nite went home,had some food,do not feel good,then midnite starting vomiting,swallow any more water,through up again,just sip my lips with my water drops,this is diarrhea,no dizziness,what cause no bathroom movement,at all.

doctor1 MD

How long to we need to take intetrix to get rid of travelers diarrhea? The medication is strong and we would like to take for as short a duration as possible. We have taken three doses so far We have been sick for 4 days. Imodium is having no effect.

doctor1 MD

I have had an extreme case of diarrhea all night ( every 20 minutes). And have been vomiting every once in a while. I feel fine other than these symptoms. I m a little concerned as I have never experienced anything like this before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

doctor1 MD

colon problems....I have had IBS for years suffering from constipation. This past week it has been very difficult for me to have a bowel movement. I feel the urge to go but when I go it feels like it goes to a certain point and then I can t push it out. This morning I felt back there and it felt like there was something hard there stopping my stool from coming out. when I used my muscles to retract it

doctor1 MD

Hello Sir, I was having Jaundice a month back, my bilirubin level was 5 at its XXXXXXX .on the 9th of November..was hospitalised for a week and then my bilirubin was it is 1.5..and also my sgpt and sgot are in its range.. I wanted to know...

doctor1 MD

My wife is pragnant. She is on 6th month. She is having disentry for last two days. Is it something worry about?

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed having gastric flu , although I have got over most of the symptoms I still have dhyarea after 11 days is this normal