Suffering from dysentery. Suggest some medicine

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having Dysentery since yesterday. I took two capsule Norflox-TZ but still its not working. Do suggest me some good medicine.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Dysentery is an inflammatory disorder of the intestine, especially of the colon, resulting in severe diarrhoea (frequent stools) containing mucus and/or blood in the feces associated with fever, abdominal pain and rectal tenesmus (a feeling of incomplete defecation). Do you have similar symptoms? If not, I would be interested in knowing your symptoms.

Most often the condition is self limiting where symptoms resolve in a few days (no longer than a week). The frequency of urges to defecate, the volume of feces passed, and the presence of mucus, pus and blood depend on the pathogen that is causing the disease - the most severe symptoms are associated with bacterial infections. However viruses and parasitic infections can also present with milder symptoms. Therefore it is important to identify the specific cause.

With this back ground, I shall proceed to answer your query.

1. Norflox-TZ is pill effective against most bacterial as well as parasitic infection associated with colon infection. However it does take 2-3 days to effectively reduce the symptoms. As you have just taken 2 doses, please continue the pill for another 3 days.

2. Antidiarrheal drugs like Tablet Lomotil (1 or 2 pills) may be used under the cover of antibiotic (Norflox-TZ) to reduce frequency of stools. This pill is not available over the counter at some regions. Please check with your nearest pharmacist about its availability over the counter.

3. It is important to watch for symptoms of dehydration such as reduced thirst, reduced urination, disorientation, generalised weakness, muscle cramps, etc. You may need hospitalisation if these symptoms of dehydration are present now.

4. Drink plenty of oral fluids. Take Electral powder mix it with 1 litre of water & drink that water in 6 hours time. Coconut water is an useful replacement alternatively.

Despite the following measures, if you don’t notice improvement in a day or two, then I recommend a visit to the nearest doctor. Stool routine & microscopy examination is in order to identify the causative pathogen.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question, I will be happy to help you.

Wish you a speedy recovery...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later
Thank you. I also want to know that should I take omez or aciloc with Norflox?
How many capsules of Norflox should I take per day?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 21 minutes later

The dose and frequency of medications depend on the severity and type of symptoms. Therefore it is best to get it prescribed by a doctor after a physical evaluation.

In general, omeprazole/pantoprazole 20mg (instead) twice a day before food can be taken if there are symptoms of hyperacidity. And Norflox-TZ twice a day would suffice. Please discuss with your current physician and get a personalised prescription containing the dose and frequency of the medications.

Hope this suffices. I will be available for further guidance.