• question-icon

Suffering from dry throat with soft palate and uvula sagging. What is the cause?

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have uploaded 2 images of the current status of my uvula and soft palate. This is now the beginning of week 4 with the situation improved but only little. The sinuses are clearer but not totally clear-breathing through the nose is fine. There is no sneezing or runny eyes or nasal discharge. All vitals, BP, plus, temp, and O2 are fine. Strep swab was negative. The throat tends to be dry and it feels like there is always something behind my soft palate(feels like phlegm that needs to be cleared) It looks like the whole soft palate and uvula are sagging (or inflamed) and possibly the tongue too being very little inflamed. 3 swabs were taken today to check for aerobic, anaerobic, bacteria and viruses. Results will be in a couple of days. Allergist did airborne allergy tests and only came up with dust, Bermuda grass and olive tree pollen as triggers. They do not suspect a food allergy as they say that is short lived and does not last for 4 weeks. I am doing lots of exercises with my tongue and soft palate to try and squeeze and strengthen. I am trying to boost the immune and have been for a week now with these natural supplements. What do you think as an expert? I have had several responses over the last few weeks but am hesitant to go to the antibiotics yet. I have tried claritin(antihistamine) and flonase(steroid nasal spray) both did not make me feel great and helped only a little. I use a nasal irrigator daily and gargle with salt and water as well. Any thoughts, ideas, as to what you think it may be and the next steps... Many thanks for your input.(Please consider natural possibilities first then suggestions of medication that may be of use)
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 16 days later
Brief Answer: Mild Chronic allergic pharyngitis Detailed Answer: Hi Sir, I have gone through your query and the pictures submitted. After carefully reviewing your history and the pictures, I feel you might be suffering from the mild chronic allergic pharyngitis. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would advice the following line of treatment 1. Gargling a five times a day for three to four minutes with warm salt water or soluble aspirin dissolved in water. 2. Drink warm liquids particularly with lemon and honey. 3. Antacid Mucain gel 2 tea spoonful three times a day. 4. Avoid allergens such as dust. 5. Continue your drug claritin(antihistamine) and flonase(steroid nasal spray). As far as antibiotic therapy is concerned, I suggest you to wait the swab test results. If the test result is negative (which I think is most likely), antibiotic treatment would not be helpful. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist