Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Suffering from dizziness and vertigo. MRI of brain clear. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10463 Questions
Hi, I am a 26 year old guy who is suffering from dizziness and vertigo (I've gone through detailed symptoms of vertigo and found it true in my case) since last 2 years (almost). I used to have my world spinning all of a sudden and i find it difficult to stand or even sit and feel like i should lie down. It stays from 2 mins to 10 mins.
I had MRI of brain and almost everything but every report was clear. I've read on net that it can be because some dysfunctional vestibular tract also.
Please suggest what type of doctor I should go to for this Vestibular tract problem (if it is there). ENT specialist or any general physician?
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Having head spins and dizziness may be associated with many reasons which need to be ruled out one by one in your case-
1. Abnormal position of the neck- avoid using a pillow for a few days and see if it improves.
2.Migraine headaches are also associated with vertigo or spinning of head. Do you have any associoation with headache?
3. Inner ear problems- due to inflammation or miniere's disease ( a middle ear disease)- Can be ruled out on examination by an ENT specialist.
4. Stroke causing compromised blood supply to the inner ear. This can be ruled out by your general physician after looking for all the risk factors.
5. cervical spondylosis- usually associated with pain in the neck.
6. Metabolic conditions such as hyponatremia
You need to rule out the above conditions and then get the treatment according to the diagnosis. You can go to an ENT specialist first and if everything comes normal then consult a general physician for proper investigations and diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from dizziness and vertigo. MRI of brain clear. Which specialist should I consult? 24 minutes later
As far as neck pain is concerned, I have this pain which is not exactly in my neck but it is at the joint of my neck and head and back portion of head. This pain is severe and occurs at least one in a month and specially then when I don't get proper sleep. But this neck pain/headache never SPECIFICALLY caused this vertigo. This vertigo may arise all of a sudden without any warning or reason.
Secondly, I was diagnosed with Seronegative Spondyloarthropathy and doctor said its an autoimmune disorder that can't be cured but controlled. Though I need to consult few more doctors before I put my faith in this diagnosis (my HLA B27 was tested when I was having this back pain since long).

I have chronic back pain issue and this back pain becomes sever while standing/walking for more than 20 mins.

Are the above mentioned things related to each other or to my vertigo thing?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since you do have a pain in the neck occasionally, the headache and vertigo could be due to a cervical spondylosis. Spondyloarthropathy could be reason of having spodylosis at a young age.
The vertigo due to ENT causes is generally related to a ringing in the ears. Getting an MRI of cervical spine might be helpful in diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor