Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Suffering from dimorphic anaemia. What treatment and cure is required?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
My mother is suffering from anemia since 1984 .She is now 65 years old. Her haemoglobin count used to be between 8-10 and in Feb 2013 it has come down to 3.9. In blood smear Microcytic hypochromatic to Marcocytic Hyperchromatic with roulouxe formation. Few target cells were seen and also aniscystosis and rouleaux formation.NO spherocytes or tear drop cells were seen.Rest was normal including WBC, Platelletes and total serum protein (6.8) test. Albumin and globlin within limits. Urea, creatine and uric acid normal. However, ESR was 160 and HCT 13.9. The diagonosis was made that of Dimorphic anemia with red cell roulouexe formation. Done marrow aspirations says Plasma cell 15% , binucleated plasma cells.Iron culture is normal,with increased iron binding capacity i.e. 250. Balance test normal.However B12 and Folic acid test shows lack of it .
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

As mentioned by you your mother suffers from dimorphic anaemia. She would be requiring iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid. Considering her low Hb of 3.5 g% it is advisable to get a few units of packed cell transfusions done.

Your mother would also need to be investigated for:
1. Any intestinal bleeding.
2. Serum iron level
3. Serum ferritin level
4. Stood for occult blood.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your mother an early recovery.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor