Suffering from diarrhea. Getting dark greenish grey stool. How to get cured?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had the runs for over a week and today I have had to go two times already, plus the color has changed to a dark greenish grey. I feel as if I need to go again already, though I just got done using the bathroom not even ten minutes ago.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your diarrheas are probably caused by bacterial infection. Especially if you had eaten something suspicious or have had antibiotics therapy recently. Greenish color is caused by accelerated stool passage. If there is any blood in stool or mucus in stool it can be caused by inflammatory intestines disease (like Crohn`s disease) or any other pathology in large intestine.
It is advisable for you to have soft diet for a couple of days, drink sufficient amount of water, have Loperamide 3x2 tablets for 2 days and Rifaximine 3x2 for 7 days tablets prescribed by your doctor.
If such treatment wont bring any improvement, some tests needs to be done including stool tests, abdominal ultrasound, full blood work with liver and pancreas enzymes, colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.