Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Suffering from depression due to career problems in life. How to overcome depression?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I am really sad. All I do is cry. I'm having a really bad time at work. I'm 57 years old and I know no one will hire me because I am too old. I never got married or had kids. My career is my life and its going to be over shortly and I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm not worth anything without it. I cant seem to be able to go back to work to face the consequences.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Your obviously suffering from depression Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I do understand what you might be going through and it is a good step taken trying to figure out how to conquer this depressive state. The first major step in conquering depression is admitting first of all that you are depressed then seeking possible solutions to overcoming it. Depression is often associated to aging and especially as we get older, we begin to have a feeling of loneliness. I will like to start by saying that, you should know that your career is actually not the only thing you have to live for. The must be some people that you care about. You can invest your energy and time, in trying to make the happy. By doing this, you will also generate a good feeling in you that can make you feel less lonely. Also take note that, no matter your situation, there must be someone somewhere that cares about you and wishes to give you some attention i.e if you will open up to them. If you had not gotten married or have any kids, that does not make you less of a human but it is a path that some people choose to follow and you can still end up happy if you choose to. There is no only one way to conquer a depressive state. Opening up as you are doing right now is one way to go about it. Taking antidepressants is another way to also go about it, together with counseling and support from a health expert such as a psychiatrist can help. Attending group therapies with people that also suffer from depression. If you had set up some money aside, you can decide to start a small business that will not make you have to stay idle and could keep you in contact with people. Also adopting a child or having someone share your home with you is also a good option. Traveling and seeing places could also help. I suggest from now onward, you should try booking an appointment with a psychiatrist who can guide you through overcoming depression. If you allow the feeling of depression to overcome you instead, you might fall into severe depression, which might cause a lot of harm to your health (I can see that your overall health is good). I will encourage you to stay positive in life and try focusing on other aspects of your life besides not getting married, no kids and loosing your job. The world is full of opportunities and you can only grasp them if you allow yourself to. I will be right here to help you through this situation and if you have any further questions, please feel free to write back. Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor