Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Suffering from depression, anxiety, tension and hyper anger. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 442 Questions
Hello Doctor, My wife having Depression, anxiety, tension hyper anger, recalling those previous incidents in her life, over thinking on any incident, growing grudge on people whom she don't like and taking revenge with bad words while arguing, talking in her self, moving objects in her eyes, smiling in her self and facial expression while alone.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 37 minutes later

Thank you for the clear description.

After reading the problem thoroughly, it seems your wife probably could be suffering with bipolar disorder with psychotic features.

Bipolar disorder is a combination of recurrent attack mania and depression. Manic features are aggressive and abusive behaviour, decrease sleep, growing grudge on people whom she don't like and taking revenge with bad words while arguing, over thinking on any incident. While depressive features are when she was sitting quietly not talking nor interested in daily activities, anxiety, recalling those previous incidents in her life, reduced sleep, etc. It also seems she has some psychotic features like talking to self, moving objects in her eyes, smiling to self.

However as schizophrenia (a psychotic disorder) patient may present with similar features it is important that we differentiate schizophrenia from bipolar disorder with psychosis. This needs a detailed evaluation of the patient through a proper history and mental state examination. This can be done only at a psychiatrist office. After the initial evaluation she can be put on a combination of a mood stabilizer (lithium or valproate) and an antipsychotic (like olanzapine, risperidone, qutiapine, etc.)

So please consult a psychiatrist at the earliest for proper diagnosis of the case and then start drugs immediately. In the meantime watch her closely. It would be best to have a family member stay with her as and when possible.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and please write a review.

Wish your wife a speedy recovery

Dr Sourav Ganguly
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor