Suffering from cough and throat infection. Getting relief by medicine. Any permanent cure?

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Whenevr I suffer from Coughing, it lasts for almost 2 - 3 weeks, I am right now suffering from bad throat for last almost one month. My Family doctor had given medicines whic has improved my condition but has not completely cured it. My doctor also said no signs of TB, Please Advise,
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 50 minutes later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears you have a history of recurrent history of bad throat and cough. This kind of pattern is suggestive of a allergic pharyngitis. However there is a possibility of nose or paranasal sinus disease or a chest pathology presenting with similar symptoms. I would advise you for a routine blood count, X XXXXXXX chest , X XXXXXXX PNS OM view and a ENT consultation.
If you have associated fever and malaise I would also advise you for a throat swab for culture and senstitivity. This will help in choosing the right antibiotic.
If the tests come out to be normal it is more suggestive of a allergic cause. If it is so you may require antiallergics and decongestants for treatment . To avoid recurrent attacks you will require prophylactic medicines (mast cell stabilizers).

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 8 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX

This was a Jet quick response, thank you so much.

Would like to inform that I do not have a very frequent recurrency however when ever it happens it takes little longer to cure. On the normal course of routine as well, I am a patient of sinusitis and hence have a blocked nose at times though rarely. Since childhood, have never been sufering form any Chest congestion but just little troublesome Sinus.

I feel my Sinus is one of the cause of a longer throat irritation as the saliva runs down the throat from sinus . .

Plesae correct me if I am wrong.

thanks again.

Best regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 20 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query and nice compliment.
When there is one cause it will be appropriate to rectify it first. I would suggest you to consult a ENT surgeon for the treatment of sinusitis. It is quite possible that once the sinus problem is treated you will have improvement in your throat problem. When a focus of infection is there it is quite probable that it causes throat infection as the infected mucus reaches in the pharynx from the posterior end of nose.

with regards
Ravinder Sharma