Suffering from cough and feeling blockage in the upper wind pipe. What should I do?

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am continuously suffering from cough due to feeling of some blockage in the upper wind pipe, this becoms severe during cold season, My have done a Haemogram yesterday the results are Haemoglobin 12.6 gm%, Monocytes 1 % MCH 25 pg, MCHC 30 gm/dl,MPV 11.9 fL, PDW 19.8 fL, AEC440. I remebber some ime back some food particle wend hrough my wind pipe and from then onwards I am facing such Problem. Do you think if I undergo a bronchoscopy an experienced Physician can cure me from this ailment?
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from chronic cough with winter exacerbations. Your absolute eosinophil count is on the higher side.

2. Considering the history of possible aspiration a bronchoscopy may be of some help. But you need to get yourself clinically evaluated by a Pulmonologist.

3. Investigations that may be required are chest xray, pulmonary function test and HRCT scan of the thorax. Also serum IgE levels will hint towards a possible allergic component.

4. The above investigations will make the picture more clear and thus you can be managed according to your evaluation profile.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist
Follow up: Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Dear Dr. Gyanshankar XXXXXXX
Thanks for your suggestion, I shal see a Pulmonologist soon and try finding a long term solution to the issue, I have done a Chest PA X-Ray and found nothing abnormal.

Best Regards
XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow up.
Considering that your chest xray is normal, it seems a good news. However further course of investigations can be targeted only after a clinical examination by a Pulmonologist.

Get well soon.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist