Suffering from cold. No relief after taking cold and flu medicines. How to boost immune system?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Infections
Question: I've had a cold for more than a month now.I've taken all kinds of cold and flu medicines to no avail.I need help with this.I'll also like to know what I can take to boost my immune system
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Usually cold & flu responds to any form of treatment within 7-10 days duration. A longstanding cold & flu like symptoms not responding to treatment needs to be investigated. Kindly visit your treating doctor or any ENT specialist who will be able to make a diagnosis. There can be a possibility that you might have developed a bacterial sinusitis or middle ear infection that can be diagnosed only after examining you clinically.

Repeated episodes of cough & cold suggest that your immunity is low. There are various ways to increase body immunity. You should regularly follow this lifestyle changes & be consistent.

1. Get enough sleep. You need to rest your body in a leisurely manner and avoid stress for at least six to eight hours daily.

2. You must drink plenty of water. By drinking six to eight glasses of water daily, this will help to flush out toxins from the body.

3. You must eat well. You should increase fresh fruits and vegetables and multi-grain meals in your daily diet and cut down on frozen, processed and fatty food. Besides that, you should reduce the intake of animal protein XXXXXXX food. Quit smoking and limit alcohol consumption.

4. You must practice good hygiene by washing your hands after visiting the toilets and before meals. When you wash hands, you also get rid of germs that might infect you with illnesses.

5. You need to exercise to boost your immune system. Exercise is good for health. It helps to strengthen your bones and muscles. Do any form of exercise that you enjoy doing.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further query I will be happy to help you. Take care.