Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Suffering from chronic social phobia. Specialist for treatment in Bangalore?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1852 Questions
Hi, I am suffering froms social phobia for more than 3 decade. Can you suggest a doctor for consultation in bangalore.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 33 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Social phobia is a type of anxiety disorder and frequently associated with generalized anxiety disorder. It is characterized by anxiety in social situation followed by avoidance of social situations. If these disorders are not treated early they can lead to depression because of distress and dysfunction.

In drug treatment, two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and cognitive behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

In Bangalore, you can visit “National Institute of mental health and allied sciences (NIMHANS)” which is apex institute for psychiatry in India.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor