Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Suffering from chronic hip pain. Taking chondroitin. Non surgical option to get relief from pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10284 Questions
My 77 year old father suffers from chronic hip pain. He has been taking chondroitin for many years with some success but the last 12 months has seen increasing pain to the area and an altered gait (slight limp). My father is a golfer but is finding this activity increasingly difficult. He takes panadol Osteo for pain management. He would like to explore non surgical options for management of this progressive problem. Would regenexx be an option for him?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Progressively increasing pain in the hip associated with a limp could be due to a ligament tear, bursitis or infective arthritis in addition to osteoporosis he is already having.
Since these conditions can only be differentiated by an examination, I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray or MRI of the affected hip under his/her guidance to see any arthritic changes, joint destruction or any other pathology. You can also upload the X-rays here so that we can discuss this here. You can use 'Upload your reports' section.

Panadol osteo contains sustained release paracetamol which helps in the pain relief. It does not help with the actual pathology.
Regenexx is a oral muscle relaxant.
For symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to the hip- avoid weight bearing.
2. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants are recommended.
3. Hot compresses to the hip will be useful pain relieving measure. He may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor