Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Suffering from chronic diabetes. Had partial hip replacement surgery. No movements. Eats less. No recognition. Suggest

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My father-in-law is not responding to any communication. He dont want to lie down, dont want to move. He will stay in a fixed posture for the whole day. If any movement is required, then we have to forcefully move him, otherwise he will not move a single inch. He is not talking or responding to any verbal communication. Even if he is asked whether he is hungry - he will not respond. He is eating very less as well. If we force to eat him, he will not chew the food and keep the same in his mouth for hours. he is behaving like a small baby. Afterwards he will vomit the food from his mouth. We are not understanding what has happened to him. He will stare at the ground for the whole day and will sit in a fixed posture, he is unable to recognize anybody as well. I would like to mention that he has been suffering from chronic diabetes for the last several yrs, and he had an operation for partial hip replacement during the year 2008. His one kidney is not very much operative, and his creatinine level also fluctuates.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Considering his present condition and comorbid risk factors there is a probability of him suffering from dementia.Dementia could be either due to old age , Alzeihmers disease or an intracranial Ischemia or related vascular problems eg stroke .
Occasionally depression or antidepressant medications may also change a persons mood , behaviour and personality.
However it's extremely important for you to first rule out any significant neurological cause like stroke , alzheimer etc by consulting a neurologist or his physician . The doctor might advise investigations if needed like an mri / ct scan of brain , blood tests , etc Depending on the cause the treatment may vary .
Please do not worry and though he might resist all your efforts it's worth to get him thoroughly evaluated and treated for dementia .
Hope that answers your query.
I'll be available for follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from chronic diabetes. Had partial hip replacement surgery. No movements. Eats less. No recognition. Suggest 3 days later
Hello Doctor,

Is there any specific food that should be restricted for him.. and also any that is suitable to him. He doesn't like to eat all kinds of food items, recently he is reluctant to eat rice/roti. He likes to have biscuits, bananas and even some fruits. But its very difficult to feed him with vegetables, rice.. wholesome food items.. please suggest any remedy.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
I understand your concern for his nutrition and appreciate your efforts for the same.
Generally speaking, a lower risk of dementia and improvement of memory has been widely associated with a diet that includes a steady source of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, unprocessed whole grains and certain types of fish. If he dislikes whole grain and vegetables then try khicchdi , porridges , soups which are soft easily digestible and can contain variety of foodstuffs in a hidden manner.
Conversely foods to be avoided include sugars, toxic fats, red meats and most soy products. Organic foods are highly recommended in order to avoid the toxins found in traditionally grown food that include pesticides, antibiotics and hormones.Avoid foods that can choke or are hard to swallow.

Hope that answers your query.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor