Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Suffering from cholangiocarcinoma. What treatment should be doe?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
patient suffering from cholangiocarcinoma,ptbd done.bile duct clear by days second cycle chemo to be complete in the next week.patient is very week physically , weight decrease up to 36 kg from 56 kg,no try to eat any solid or semi solid but only liquid like juice and glucose water drink but not sufficient quantity.pls advice us abt treatment at this stage or possibility of success or any other knowledge abt it.we can send all step by step treatment report and any knowledge if you required.pls reply earliest as soon as possible
Can I talk to you abute this problem by mobile and when(time)?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Cholangiocarcinoma can be treated surgically in early stage but when it becomes unresectable then the outlook is very poor. It appears that your patient has this type of disease and is being treated by chemotherapy. Chemotherapy is not a definitive treatment in this case and just used to prolong survival or relieve of some symptoms.

But as you have mentioned that patient is not tolerating chemo too well. Oral intake is very poor and weight loss is there. Hence I feel that supportive treatment alone to preserve his quality of life as much as possible during his last days will be better for him.

I am really sorry that I could not suggest anything too optimistic for him, but that is the way it is. You can certainly upload the treatment details and reports after which I can give my final views.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow-up queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor