• question-icon

Suffering from chicken pox. Required treatment and medication

Posted on Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Infections
Question: Can you suggest any medicine or treatment when someone is suffering from Chicken Pox?
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 40 minutes later
Thanks for seeking help at XXXXXXX forum.

Chicken pox is a disease caused by Varicella Zoster virus. It is highly contagious. It remains infective 1-2 days prior to development of rash to 5-6 days after its onset.

Adult patients suffering from chicken pox can develop some complications.

Treatment has two parts.

1. Antiviral treatment
2. Supportive measures

1. Antiviral drug like the one Acyclovir can be started but the best effects can be found if it is started within 24-48 hrs of appearance of rashes.

This drug cannot kill the virus but can restrict their multiplication thus reducing severity.

2. Calamine lotion can be applied on the lesions to relieve from itching.
- Antihistaminic medications (like cetrizine, fexofenadine) can be used,
These drugs can relieve itching and also have sedative action.
- scratching can increase the chance of secondary infection, so cutting the nail
And wearing of gloves is advised.
- This disease is contagious so patient should be isolated still all the blisters have
scab and no new blisters.
- Patients to be kept in comfortable temperature as hot and sweaty condition can
precipitate secondary infection on the skin lesions.
- In case of fever and body ache tab paracetamol can be taken for 3-4 days.

Hope I have answered your query. Keep me posted for further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 45 minutes later
Thanks much for the answer. As per the suggestion we have started with a 500mg dosage of paracetamol now.
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.

The actual dose of paracetamol is not mentioned, anyway tablet paracetamol (500 mg) can be safely given for 2-3 times a day.

I would like to inform you that antiviral drug like acycolvir may be started if rashes are not older than 48 hrs. You may want to enquire with your local practitioner about this.

Hope your patient will be fine within a week.
Dr. Dipanjan Majumder

Oncologist, Radiation