Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suffering from chest pain when moving neck or breathing deeply. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5743 Questions
i suffer from chest pain when i move my neck to extreme right or left or breath deeply or bend down ...i am at the age of 40
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

When you do move your neck, the spine discs are mobilized. If there is any spine disc herniation which does compress the nerve, it leads to the pain which can radiate to the chest. You may also suffer from headaches, backache, arm or hands numbness.
Muscle pain is also possible with such symptoms.
I suggest you to start with physical therapy like massages, pool swimming, warm compresses. If it wont help or the pain will be gradually getting worse, spine MRI and neurosurgeon consult is necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from chest pain when moving neck or breathing deeply. Concerned 3 hours later
Hi dear sir,
thanks for replay
I do not have any backache. my main probelm is pain on chest wehn i move my neck, lying on side postion, and when i breath.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later

Nerve compression is still possible. Chest pain when breathing is also characteristic for rib nerves irritation (compressed on the spine level). So physical therapy should help with it. You can also try Magnesium 400 mg once a day supplementation (it helps with nerves conduction). Diclophenac 50 mg twice a day should help with the pain, however it should not permanently. If your pain wont go away, MRI and neurosurgeon consult should be performed.
Just note that if any shortness of breath, dizziness, pain radiating to the left arm or jaw is also present, heart condition should be verified. In such case, heart ECG, stress test and cardiologist consult should be performed.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor