Suffering from chest congestion. Prescribed with Budecort and Levolin inhaler. What can be done further?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Question: Sir, My 2 yr old son is suffering from frequent cough-cold with spasm since he was 30 months old. The suffering starts either with running nose or a mild cough. Most of the times he is detected with chest congestion/spasm by the Doctors. A typical sound comes out from the chest or Respiratory tract when the suffering starts. Earlier used to be medicated with Antibiotics, Kidpred, Asthalin Syp, etc. But since XXXXXXX 2013 Doctor has prescribed Budecort 100 inhaler (2 puffs) twice daily and Levolin Inhaler SOS. He was a bit better for 2 and half months but the symptoms occurred again Then Montair 4 tablet (OD) was added for 3 months, which stopped in Sept 13. He is again suffering from same problem. Also he gets some rashes specially on the neck. The baby is always active and joyful, but creates problem while eating. Weight remaining around 10 Kgs since 1 year. Weather of my place is a bit damp as we reside at Northbengal, India. Please help me so that the repeated suffering of the baby may be controlled.
Answered by Dr. Arun 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Continue budecort and get allergy test Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. Your kid has been rightly prescribed budecort and monteleukast for wheezing. It's important that you continue these without missing even a single day. Some kids need this to be taken for 2 years to keep it under control. There are no side effects and it is the best way to treat the allergy . I would advice you to get allergy testing done . Either skin prick test or IgE specific Elisa in blood. Thus you can identify the major triggers for his wheezing and if you avoid those he would be much better. Try avoiding chemical smoke of any source, dust ,etc which are known triggers. Hope I answered your query. Let me know if I could help you further. Regards Dr Arun
Follow up: Dr. Arun 9 hours later
Thank you Sir for your valuable advice. My Son is continuing Budecort twice daily without missing a single dose since XXXXXXX 2013 and when he starts sneezing, coughing or wheezing; Levolin is also used. As advised, I shall definitely go for the allergy test. I forgot to write that one of my friend (Doctor, but not Pediatrician) suggested me to start "Monticope" with Vi-Syneral Z & Liv 52. Should I go for it ? Which one will be more suitable - Monticope or Montair 4 ? One more symptom I would like to tell you that he is very often getting rashes under the arms too. I again seek your valuable advice. Regards D XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer: montair 4 is the right dose Detailed Answer: montair 4 is the right dose for your kid. There is no use in visyneral and liv 52. Rashes under arms shin could be allergic and montair should help if not add cetrizine for few days with moisturising aloe Vera lotion. Continue budecort and montair . Get allergy tests and avoid the triggers. Wishing your kid great health. Arun
Follow up: Dr. Arun 40 hours later
Thankyou once again Sir. One more query regarding his diet. Can we give him banana, oranges or other citrus fruits ? Would cow milk may cause any harm to him ? He has just completed 2 years today and his weight is just 9.5 Kg. Can "Pedia Sure" may be added to his diet, if yes then for how many times a day ? Regards, D XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun 19 hours later
Brief Answer: depends on allergytest Detailed Answer: Allergy tests will tell you which foods are safe for your kid. Pediasure can be given twice a day. Arun