Suffering from canker sore. Will it be cured by avoiding sodium lauryl sulfate?

Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I am a Canker Sore Sufferer.I heard , avoiding sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) could reduce the reoccurance. Is it true? If yes can you please reccomend such a tooth paste products available in bangalore?
Iranically , when i was in US about 3.5 years, i didnt not suffer from this problem. But when i return back to india, i started to suffer again by canker sore. why?and how to prevent it?
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 33 minutes later

Canker sores are recurrent aphthous stomatitis which can be caused due to-
Bacterial infection
Immunologic abnormalities
Iron, Vitamin-b12 and Folic acid deficiency
Trauma
Endocrine conditions like premenstrual period
Psychological factors
Allergic factors like asthma, food or drug allergies

I have not heard or seen any patients with canker's sores due to sodium lauryl sulfate. Perhaps the ill effects reported are based on research studies. They do not cause the canker sores in practical day to day use.

You will need a dentist or an ENT surgeon who can identify if any one of the above factors is the cause of your recurrence.
In addition in your case other allergic / psychological and nutritional factors also need to be considered. My suggestions to you are as follows:
1. Use tetracycline mouthwash for better relief. Steroid ointment containing cortisone acetate can be used topically.
2. Thermokind f-gel can be used as toothpaste.
3. Include vitamin b12, folic acid, iron and zinc sulphate supplements in your diet.
4. Use soft bristle toothbrush to avoid trauma.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad