Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Suffering from brain hemorrhage. Now in ICU with ventilator support. Any treatment available?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5574 Questions
My mother is not feeling good she is suffering from brain hemorrhage & she is not in conscious since for the last one week the following things has been taken by the doctor. CT Scan, Coiling, Brain Surgery, Draining the fluids, now she is in ICU with ventilator support she is not getting back her conscious which is making us to worry a lot. The doctor now they are saying that maybe brain stem would have been damaged because after the surgery the brain seems good but my mother is not getting her conscious back. Pls advice what needs to be done here.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 48 minutes later

Thank you for posting the medical details of your mother.

Your mother has most probably suffered from subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) due to a ruptured aneurysm. She had additional complications such as brain swelling and additional bleeding. So far, three surgeries/procedures have been done- coiling, hole in the brain to drain the fluid, and decompressive surgery for the brain swelling.

She is still critical, as she is on ventilator and is not fully conscious.

In this situation, improvement does take time. However, if brain stem is damaged, it takes much longer and moreover, complete recovery may not take place.

MRI is a good method to assess the brainstem damage. Other tests which can help us in the same are clinical bedside tests (such as cold calorics, apnea test, Doll's eye movements, etc) and evoked potential studies.

In any case, treatment seems to be along correct lines.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor