Suffering from back pain and trying to lose weight. What should be done?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Back Pain
Question: I am over weight(106Kgs). I want to reduce weight.

I also have back pain in the night while sleeping and have to take pain killers once every 2-3 days.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
I can appreciate your concern as your weight is more. It is required for you to loose weight and it is recommended also. Excessive body weight causes more wear and tear of weight bearing joints like spine, hips and knees thus causing the pain.
The stiffness and back pain could be a part of a mechanical back pain complex of symptoms. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture at work, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the tightness. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case you have any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by your Orthopedician.

After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.

Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain. You can discuss about this with your Gym instructor.

Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.
Please visit your doctor to look for any medical reasons for over weight like thyroid disorder or any other hormonal imbalance in your body.
Do visit a dietician who can plan your diet well as per your need and life style.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.