Suffering from back pain and leg pain. What cure should be done?

Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Question: hi i am in agon with back pain, lower left side, shooting pains down my legs, i am waiting for mri scan results, but its affecting my whole life and my job, i can barely get out the car at times
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 6 hours later
Dear,

Your symptoms are suggestive of radicular pain occurring mainly due lumbosacral disc disease. MRI scan and NCV will help you to reach diagnosis and plan your treatment.

Since the result of test is taking time and you are in pain, I suggest you to talk to your treating doctor. He/she can prescribe stronger bed rest is absolutely essential.

If you are already on pain medications, then I suggest you to follow up with your treating doctor. More aggressive treatment such as surgery might be needed.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are any other concerns.

Dr Vineet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vineet Saggar 10 hours later
thank you for your reply, ive had back pain off and on for years but this is the worst its been, i dont know if its because im getting older lol, or the 22years i have been a carer, looking after clients in their own homes. when i first started my career we didnt have hoists or standaids to move clients and if they fell we lifted them. ive also had two car accidents in the last twenty years, both times my car was hit from behind.
You say that strict bed rest is essential, but am i wrong in thinking i should be moving around, as thats the one thing ive been told the whole time, is to keep mobile and stop my back from stiffening up?
its getting harder though to keep moving, the shooting pains in my legs really bother me whether im active or at rest, it makes no difference.

thank you
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 1 hour later
Dear,

Bed rest can cause stiffness initially but prevents further aggravation of inflammation too. Further movements during acute pain can only worsen pain and inflammation. Exercise and physiotherapy is only after pain control. So I will suggest that you rest till your problem is fully diagnosed.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are other concerns.

Follow up: Dr. Vineet Saggar 6 hours later
i havent had an mri scan before and was wondering if you could tell me what the results may show? and what an mri scan actually does?
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 4 hours later
Dear,

MRI scan will reveal various structures of the spine in detail and clarity. What I would want to see is if you have disc profusion causing nerve compression / canal stenosis. This could be responsible for the agonising backache.

Apart from that MRI can also reveal fractures or listhesis or slippage of vertebrae depending on pathology.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.