Suffering from back pain after delivery. Effect of pregnancy?

Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Question: Hello Doctor,
My wife XXXXXXX is suffering from back pain quite often.
She is a housewife. We have a 2.5 years old daughter and my wife got this back pain after our daughter's birth. is this an effect of pregnancy ? If so is there any exercise to get relief from this back pain? please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 27 minutes later
Thanks for the query. Post pregnancy few patients may experience low back pain. Common reasons are either disc prolapse (could be due to increased load on the spine during pregnancy) or inflammation of the sacroiliac joint ( a joint at the tail bone) or simple muscle dysfunction. Pain is usually episodic and resolves however few cases it may persist. Is there any particular tender point in low back region? Spine xray will tell us more information. This is usually treated with medicine and physiotherapy. I think Hamstring stretching, gluteal muscle exercise and core strengthening exercise may help her. I would suggest get her examined by a spine specialist and if there is no serious issue then few sessions with physio with regular exercise should resolve this problem.Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E