Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suffering from back pain. Diagnosed with degenerative spinal disorder and collapsed discs. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 509 Questions
I have suffered severe back pain for years and diagnosed with degenerative spinal disorder, collapsed discs and two torn discs. Cope with that but this week in bed with cronic pain in coxxix area, difficult to pass stools, unable to walk unaided and really struggle to sit or get up to move. is it just my back problems or something else, it all went stiff and spasm through hoovering!!
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Omer 3 hours later

I am Dr.Omer, and I am here to help you with your query

Thanks for the query

As you have told that you had chronic backache issues , diagnosed with degenerative , collapsed/torn discs , now having severe pain in lower back (coccyx area) , difficult in standing walking , sitting or in any posture

All your symptoms you have decribed lead to acute sciatica or lumbar radiculopathy in the degenerative disc areas that is L3,L4,L5,S1 area leading to lumbar stenosis , that causes severe pain in almost any posture you make.

Your pain right now is due to nerves compression arising from L3,L4,L5,S1 areas of your lower back , and when some nerves compress then there is reactionaly muscle spasms of the surrounding areas

You need to go to ER as following therapies exist for acute severe lower back pain(lumbar radiculopathy)

Analgesics ( NSAIDS ) , but you will require opioids to relief the pain

Muscle relaxant ( tizanidine ) to relieve the muscle spasm

IF above fails then an injection in your back known as steroid epidural injection

If above fails than finally surgery of your back , with removal of torn , herniated disc and the operation is known as disectomy

There are alternate medicine as well like Spinal manipulation, which is a therapeutic intervention performed on spinal articulations which are synovial joints , causing realignment of the vertebras.

Usually lumbar radiculopathy(sciatica) will resolve in few weeks.

But you need to go to ER , and discuss the options i told you , also you need thorough examination of your lower legs to rule out other causes that can mimic this pain , so a fresh Mri lumbar spine will be required , but do get your old Mri with you for comparison

The bad signs of sciatica include urinary , bowel incontinence , severe leg muscle spasms

I hope this helps , wishing you speedy recovery

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from back pain. Diagnosed with degenerative spinal disorder and collapsed discs. Remedy? 2 days later
thank you for your advice. It is pointless going to A&E so called doctor as cant get an appointment for two weeks! have been subscribed more Diazepam an some Naproxen 500 mg which seem to be helping although they make me sleep for about 4 hours. Seem alittle better today but still very unsure of my steps and tire very quickly.
thank you once again.
Answered by Dr. Omer 4 hours later

I am happy that your pain is decreasing , with the help of NSAID( neoprox) and sleeping pill + muscle relaxant (diazepam)

Its fine that you cant get the appointment as you are improving , except for "unsure of my steps and getting tired quickly".

Just keep on taking neoprox twice daily with diazepam at night ( 2mg-5mg) and your pain , tiredness , difficulty walking will improve in 2-4 weeks.

Get an x-ray of your lower back next time you visit hospital.

Get a hard bed to sleep on , bicycling exercises when lying on bed , dont stop exercising , do mild to moderate exercises daily.

Keep the lower back warm by wearing belt , with massage of any soothing ointment at home.

I hope this helps.

If satisfied with all answers, kindly write a review , obliged.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor