Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Suffering from avascular necrosis stage 3. What is the best advise to follow?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
My Brother suffering from avascular necrosis(stage 3).What you suggest at this time? Presently we are in hyderabad.Please help us.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your Brother needs Surgery. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I have gone through the attached MRI report. The definitive form of management for stage 3 AVN is always surgery by way of a joint replacement procedure. As your brother is very young (only 34yrs), a conventional total hip replacement (THR) is not advisable (atleast in my opinion), instead a Surface replacement of the Hip offers many advantages for a Young patient. But, the surface replacement procedure is a costly affair. One of the best surgeon for performing a surface replacement of hip is DR XXXXXXX BOSE at Apollo hospitals, CHENNAI. He has done the highest number of surface replacement surgeries than any one else in INDIA. So, he is vastly experienced in this field of surgery. You can also "Google" for Dr. XXXXXXX bose and his achievements in Joint replacement procedures. I suggest you to consult him and take his opinion regarding further management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from avascular necrosis stage 3. What is the best advise to follow? 36 minutes later
Thank you Dr for your valuable advice.I have some queries like How much does a surface replacement surgery costs and how will be the life after surgery will it be normal?how many days bed rest needed?can we go for surgery after 1 year?.Are there any doctors like XXXXXXX bose in hyderabad or who is the best in hyderabad?.....Thank You
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find the answers below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. Generally, surface replacement surgery may cost around 2.5-3 lakhs. Life after surgery will be absolutely back to normal without any restrictions. Just go to the site "" and "" & scroll through all the information about the surgery, the doctors, the patients and their stories etc. Bed rest after surgery is only for 1 or 2 days. You can go for surgery after one year also but there will be much more disease progression by then and your brother may not be an ideal candidate for Hip resurfacing surgery (instead, he may require a conventional THR after one year, which is not desirable in Young people). There are joint replacement surgeons in all the corporate hospitals in Hyderabad but they might be good at performing a conventional THR but not Resurfacing of Hip. On the other hand, I am also not sure of any surgeon who has that much of experience in handling Hip resurfacing surgeries, especially in YOUNG PEOPLE. "Selecting the right surgeon is crucial to getting long term positive results after any hip surgery but especially for Hip Resurfacing" Hope I have addressed your queries. Good day
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor