Suffering from anxiety and difficulty to sleep. Noticed ED after taking clonazepam. What is the cause?

Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY

Sexologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: hi Doc , I am 25 years old male , i have been suffering from anxiety for quite some time (1 year) , and my muscles used to be tight all the time and i had difficulty getting sleep ,so i started taking clonazepam(0.50mg) once every 3 days to help me relax for the last 6-7 months,but from the last 2 months i have noticed that my sex drive has vanished and i rarely get an erection now could you please suggest the reason and the cure for this, whether this is temporary or permanent,is it due to the drug or the stress? I feel lusty but can't get erection.
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for the query in HCM

Since you are taking treatment for depression, there would be decrease in libido because of
1. Depression itself can cause sexual dysfunction
2. Chronic use of Clonazepam can also lead to decrease in libido

you need to get your depression controlled as well as to get some counseling related to sexual health

hope I gave an idea regarding your problem.
I am still available for your anymore concerns

regards
Dr A XXXXXXX
Consultant in Reproductive & Sexual Medicine / Sexologist
Republic of India

Follow up: Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 14 hours later
Hi Doc,

I have no where mentioned in the mail that I am suffering from or taking medication for Depression , I had sporadic episodes of depression but that was quite some time ago.So can you please reply in the relevant context, also can you explain how much is "CHRONIC" is 0.5mg of clonazepam every 3 days "CHRONIC" ? Is it enough to cause sexual dysfunction? Also as mentioned in my previous mail i would like to know whether this condition is temporary or permanent?
1)is it related to stress? will i have to be in a low stress environment for it to return?
2)or will i have to wean off the drug to be sexually normal again ? i.e if i stop taking the drug will my libido return?
3)or do i have to take any medications for the same?
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 11 hours later

- Anxiety disorders as well as attacks of depression spells can cause decrease in libido. Taking Clonazepam for a longer duration (duration may be subjective - even 6 months or more)
- These issues are temporary till you have the precipitating factors
- You may need to involve sexual activities (masturbation if you are single / intercourse if you have partner) to improve libido.
- Relaxing techniques like yoga and meditations are useful
- Medications may be beneficial after both physical and hormonal evaluation

wish you a healthy sexual life
Dr A XXXXXXX